A LEGEND BY ANY DEFINITION.
The restoration of this rare 1994 Acura Legend Coupe LS began in January of 2016 and it was recently completed by a team of experts overseen by the Clarion Builds program.
The second generation Acura Legend debut in 1990 as a 1991 model. Featuring attractive, modern styling for its time both inside and out, the new much larger car benefited from design cues directly tied to Acura’s revolutionary sportscar, the NSX. Indeed, the NSX-inspired raked wrap around rear glass, the premium 5 spoke aluminum wheels, the supreme fighter plane-style cockpit layout, and the NS gauges gave the new model a distinctly serious upmarket look. Up front, the new longer hood hid an updated and powerful 3.2L V6 in a longitudinal configuration, something rare in a FWD car and unique in Honda’s history. The design was sporty, luxurious, refined, aerodynamic, and in the case of the Coupe, timeless. The Legend Coupe was and still is one of those cars that looks fast standing still.
The Coupes, following the fine tradition of European GTs, came equipped with some of the best standard features of any luxury car, including soft close doors, memory seats, heated leather seats, dual front airbags, automatic climate control, tilt and telescoping steering wheel, steering radio controls and even a car phone. The real standout of the second generation Legend models was the 1994 and 1995 Coupe. Many upgrades landed in the 1994 Acura Legend Coupe to tip the car’s balanced scale more toward sportscar than luxury car. To do this, Honda/Acura delivered the Type II SOHC V6 with 30 more horsepower, made possible by a higher flowing intake manifold and slightly more aggressive camshafts, and paired it to an excellent six speed manual gearbox that traces its heritage to the company’s NSX supercar. The engineers didn’t stop there. To further refine the Legend Coupe’s performance feel, the car’s suspension was upgraded to improve handling, while larger brakes were used to help the car stop faster. The 1994 and 1995 models received subtle updates to the body including more aggressive bumpers, a body color matched grill and body color moldings, a revised deck lid badging, as well as advanced tech updates like an innovative electronic tilt and telescoping steering column.
The perfected Clarion Builds Street Team specimen is a 1994 model year LS with a six-speed manual and with just 56,000 miles on the odometer. While it was in an okay overall shape, every panel and every detail inside and outside needed attention after spending 22 years out there. Among the hundreds of hours spent on the car’s restoration, the noteworthy tasks completed included:
· Complete respraying of all panels in the original Taffeta White color by Diamond Hills Collision Center
· New contemporary style leather upholstery using custom Italian hides by Westminster Upholstery
· Complete shampooing and reconditioning of the original carpets by Westminster Upholstery
· Complete restoration (including factory style machining) of the original rims by AutoWave
· All new Michelin Pilot Sports A/S 3 tires in 215/55R16 size (f/r)
· Complete mechanical updating and servicing, including timing belt replacement, and radiator replacement, by Autowave
· Replacement of all struts, shocks absorbers and springs with NOS factory parts by Niguel Motors
· Remote entry system (Python brand) installed by Beach AutoSound
· A complete NX807 7” touch screen Clarion entertainment system with Apple CarPlay installed by Beach AutoSound
Some of the original upgrades initiated by the previous owner of the vehicle including a custom exhaust, HID headlights, and ventilated disc brakes, were inspected and brought up to date during the restoration process.
The Legend Coupe is a timeless beauty with enduring appeal and potential for becoming a true collectable classic. Clarion Builds Street Team is proud of the completed project and excited to showcase this legendary classic in upcoming automotive shows and enthusiast forums.